Poisonous Plants

If you have a garden, you probably have some part of ornamental plant or flower that might contain deadly poison. Plants can trick us. One part of some plant can be edible while another can be poisonous. Some house plants like Hyacinth, Narcissus and Daffodil can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Orleander leaves are extremely poisonous. They affect heart and may cause death. Rosary Pea and Castor seeds are fatal. In our garden we can find plants like Larkspur and Monkshood which cause nervous excitment and depression. Iris stems are also poisonous and produce severe digestive upset. Daphne berries are fatal and a few berries can kill a child. Jasmine berries can cause digestive disturbance. There are also many trees and shrubs that are extremly poisonous. Oaks acorns affect kidneys gradually.There are so many poisonous plants outthere that it is really difficult to say how many. These plants are commong among our lives that we do not even consider them as poisonous. Apples and apricots pips are considered poisonous because they contain a chemical which can be harmful if ingested. We should always teach our children not to eat any berries from the garden and to always wash their hands after playing outside.
Foliage Plants
Children should be introduced to recognise poisonous plants. Teach your children not to even eat any part of unknown plant or flower. Some of the plants that are considered non-toxic include plants such as Abelia, African Palm, Aralia, Aster, Baby’s Tears, Bamboo, Begonia, Boston Ferns, Daisies, Gardenia, Lilac, Magnolia, Rose, Voilets, Wandering Jew Plant, Zebra Plant and many other. While some of these plants can cause serious problems, majority of other plants don’t have such drastic effects. It is the best to be aware of any possible toxic effect a plant might have when we are considering planting it in our garden.

Leave a Reply